Friday, March 15, 2013

Review: Garnier Olia Hairdye

 Hi everyone! Today I have a review of the Garnier Olia home hair dye. I used this dye to touch up my blonde hair, so I thought it would be a cool idea to do a review for it. 

Product:
Garnier Olia in shade 9 1/2.5 Lightest Cool Blonde

Comes with a conditioner to lock in the color
Comes with gloves
Retails for about $9 depending on where you are

Bonus: My photo featuring Ginger!


 Above this text is what my hair looked like before. The blonde is fairly warm colored,  but my roots had begun to grow out. I was not looking to change the color, I simply wanted to touch up my roots for a fresh look before my Spring Break trip to see my SO. 
To the left here I have what I looked like through the process. It is MY OWN preference to put on a developing cap. I find that dye develops much better underneath a cap. 

Application: 7/10
The Olia dye comes with a tube for the coloring and a tube to develop the color. You put both tubes into the plastic applicator. I enjoyed the shape of the applicator. It was much different than previous home dyes that I have used. The dye looked creamy and thick in the tube. I found that the dye was somewhat difficult to apply due to the thick consistency. It took me longer to work the dye into my hair. 

Smell: 9/10
This dye did not have a heavy smell at all. It was much more mild than other home dyes that I have used. I wouldn't say that it smelled good, but it was not unpleasant.  

Development: 10/10
I did not have any issues with the development of this product. The dye did not burn while it was in my hair. It was fairly comfortable (as comfortable as dye can be while it is in your hair). The color developed fairly quickly (about 40-45 minutes). 


Rinsing: 9/10
Due to the thickness of this product, I found it somewhat more difficult to rinse out compared to other dyes I have used. You are supposed to mix in the provided conditioner before rinsing the product. I will admit that there was some user error in this step. I realized that I had begun to rinse out the color before I had put in the conditioner. This may have affected the final color outcome (not sure). 




Color: 7/10
This is probably where I am disappointed in this product. I am not a huge fan of this particular shade. The color is a lot cooler toned than I imagined it being. Once again, I probably should have chosen a warmer blonde, but I honestly didn't think it would change my hair this drastically. My roots came out an unattractive color of brassy/orange. Even after using Purple Shampoo to help tone the color, this was still an issue. 

How it affected my hair:
My hair stayed relatively soft. The dye did not feel as drying as other home dyes that I have tried. My hair appears fairly shiny, even a few weeks later. 

I have received numerous compliments on this color. People have reported that it gives my hair "depth," so I cannot complain too much. 

Overall Rating: 8/10

Would I repurchase:  Yes, but I would choose a warmer color. 

1 comment:

  1. try following the instructions for roots, applying the dye just to the roots and then the rest of the hair for the final 10 minutes of development

    ReplyDelete